Our objective is to make your home construction experience as simple and stress free as possible. ManuPrefab Construction Costa Rica strives to provide certainty on costs and quality, within faster time lines! We achieve this by having all the steps and responsibilities in one team, which means you have only one partner responsible for the whole process. We’ve spent a great deal of time and effort to create efficient procedures and methods for everything we do at ManuPrefab.
ManuPrefab is a professional partner that works with land owners looking to develop their properties with unique, tropical, modern, beautiful homes. We pride ourselves in choosing the best quality building materials to ensure that each house not only looks beautiful but is also durable in the long run. We start with a line of floor plan layouts which can then be grouped together and customized in many ways to the needs and budget of each client, and the constraints and opportunities of each site.
We are working already over 15 years in the area and have been involved in numerous Costa Rican construction projects from development work to boutique vacation units to resort and high end villas, mostly in the Southern Zone of Costa Rica. Over this period we have learned what works and what doesn’t and the process and system that can streamline the goals for everyone involved.
THE PROCESS: STEP BY STEP
- Preliminary Research: On this website, you have the ability to review our standards and pricing structure right from the start. You can see our past work and read about many aspects that affect building in the tropics in general.
- Making Contact: If you have further general questions, email us here. If interested in further analysis for a home or other development, we ask you to fill out some online forms available here, where you can tell us about yourself and your new project dreams. Ideally, you already own the land and can send a location coordinate, your cadastre plan, and some photos. After reviewing this info, we will get back to you via email or call to discuss further details.
- Site Visit: For projects that have real potential, and needs for faster timelines, we can schedule a first visit to your future building site. For projects in the central pacific coast we often do this for free. For projects further afield, there may be charges for travel and accommodations. They are typically fixed fees that allow us to meet with you and analyze the conditions.
- Pre-Design: Land Survey and Soils Studies: For most projects, we require a topographical survey of the building areas of the land and can coordinate these services with our surveyor, who provides both 2d representations of the land as well as 3d information which helps tremendously during our design process. Also needed is an engineering study to determine soil types and load bearing capacities, as the foundation needs to suit these conditions and can have dramatic impacts on building costs.
- Design Contract: We work to establish a basic construction budget and an estimate of the fees required to enter the customization design process. This is typically around $5,000 for a single family home and more for developments that require more intensive land planning or larger numbers of structures. For micro units, the fees are lower.
- Client signs the Contract for Design and Construction Estimate
- Architectural Design: This starts with an analysis of the site including solar orientation, access, slopes, views, drainages, etc and produces a first packet with plans that show potential relationships between parking and turnaround areas, entry points, pavilion sizes and placements, and general connections of the whole. Upon review and discussion and selection of the desired design direction, we produce customized floor plans and 3d modeling such that you understand what you would be getting and we understand how to price it. We mostly only know what it will really cost as the end of this process. Along with the final design package we provide a detailed estimate and timeline for the work.
- Client agrees to estimated Contract sum and provides a 25% down payment.
- Construction Documents: Design drawings are then transferred into our building information modeling system to generate our in house construction plans for making all the parts in our factory, as well as a slimmed down version for the permit process.
- Permits: We manage the Permit Process with the College of Engineers through our in-house Costa Rican architect and other staff can coordinate Setena, INS and your local Municipality. Timelines vary based on the complexity of the project and the requirements of the local jurisdiction. Costs are generally based on size and use and are only fully known after submittal.
- Choosing and Sourcing of Materials: During this time we also get into final selections of finish materials for cabinets, counters, tiles, lighting, etc as well as sourcing the greater building materials needed to complete the project. Many items are imported by us to our warehouse and have lead times that must be respected.
- Construction: The start of building requires another payment of 25%. Durning Construction you receive monthly updates on the progress in form of photos and videos to keep you informed. Additional payments are based on percentage of completion. We generally don’t have regular tours or meetings with the clients on site during this time as changes during construction have large impacts on both costs and scheduling and goals to provide turn key delivery. We are always available for questions or concerns.
- Finishing: The final step includes a homeowner inspection and final punch list of anything still missing or incomplete, along with an agreement on a move in date. Final payment is made when all is complete.
- Warranty: Contracts typically don’t have much bearing in the local court system and dishonesty prevails with many in the field. We stand behind our work and promise to fix things that break and are the cause of our neglect and not normal wear and tear or acts of God. Our future success is built upon our past ones, and our clients can attest to our high standards. References are available on request.