Main Elements of a Tropical Bali Style Construction
- Sufficient Airflow is one of the most important aspect for the tropical home design. Stale and non moving air will bring rot, fungus and mold into your house.
- Large Roof Overhangs and covered outside areas protect us from the strong sun during the day and from the heavy rains in the afternoons and during the nights.
- High ceilings and steep pitched roof design. The higher the room the more air will be available inside the house so hot air can rise up and vent through the roof. High pitched roofs also drain the amounts of water coming down during the rainy season better.
- Open floor plans with lots of outdoor space. Living rooms, bathrooms, showers and even the kitchen can be outside under a covered porch.
- Water features like pools, ponds and reflecting ponds not only help to cool the body but also cool the house when warm air gets cooled over them.
- Walls are basically complementary and essentially not necessary in the tropical climate. Even most indigenous houses in the tropics are still just a couple posts with a roof on top.